Leila is a Special Counsel in the Property, Building and Construction team with extensive experience in strata, subdivision and property litigation.
Having predominantly specialised in these practice areas since 2010, Leila has had the privilege of collaborating with Owners Corporations, their members, office bearers, managers, and insurers of all sizes, many of which are associated with Victoria’s largest and most iconic buildings. She also has acted for developers, hotels, and not-for-profit organisations in strata development work.
Leila is focused in meeting her clients’ expectation, by delivering concise legal advice and costs effective legal solutions to meet their objectives. She makes regular appearances at the Victorian Courts and Tribunal in a wide range of owners corporations, subdivision and building defects disputes. Her experience include:
- Owners Corporation’s asset management, administration, governance and insurance.
- Compliance and disputes arising under the Owners Corporations Act 2006 and Owners Corporations Regulations 2018.
- Interpretations and alteration to strata plans and plans of subdivision under the Subdivisions Act 1988.
- Water ingress disputes arising under the Water Act 1986.
- Building defects disputes arising under the Domestic Building Contracts Act 1995 and Building Act 1993.
- Owners Corporation debt recovery and enforcement process.
- Drafting, registering and enforcement of Owners Corporation Rules.
- Appearances in the Owners Corporation and Property and Building Lists at the Victoria Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT), Magistrates’ Court, County Court, Supreme Court of Victoria, and the Building Appeals Board.
Leila is a member of Australian College of Strata Lawyers (ACSL). She has presented at various industry associations and is published in the Australia Property Law Bulletin.
Leila holds a Bachelor of Laws from Monash University and was awarded a scholarship from the Malaysian Public Service Department. She was admitted to practice in 2009.
In her personal time, Leila enjoys travelling, Les Mills exercise classes and spending time with her family, friends, and fur kids.