Marilyn Wai is a Senior Associate in the Commercial and Commercial Property Department.
Marilyn studied law at Monash University and obtained a Bachelor of Laws and was admitted into practice in 2006.
She has previously obtained a Bachelor of Business, specialising in marketing in 2001 from the National Technological University of Singapore.
With a background in international tax and GST, Marilyn is able provide a breadth and depth of knowledge and advice to her clients across a range of legal issues. She has acted for many operators of licensed restaurants, bars, pubs, motels and other hospitality venues as well as business owners within the aged care/home care and winery industries.
As a business lawyer Marilyn has a proven track record of acting for both individuals and SMEs in all aspects of property and commercial matters including:
- Acquisition of land for development and subdivisions
- Advice on foreign investment in Australia including preparing applications to FIRB
- Asset/business structuring advice and establishing trusts
- Business sale and purchase including drafting sale of business contracts, attending to settlement matters, obtaining relevant permits and business licenses (including liquor license)
- Commercial sale and purchase of retail shops, offices, warehouses, industrial and farmland
- General commercial/business contract advice including review of franchise agreements, terms of trade, website terms and conditions, supply and warehousing agreements
- Lease disputes including COVID-19 rent relief negotiations and surrender of leases and attending mediation at the Victorian Small Business Commissioner
- Retail and commercial leasing
- Residential sale and purchase from pre-purchase contract advice until settlement
- Mortgage advice and preparation of loan agreements
Marilyn speaks fluent Cantonese, Mandarin and Malay languages. Over the span of her career, has assisted many foreign individuals and entities who invested or setup their business in Australia. She provides trusted business law advice to a range of clients from individuals, SME owners and high-net-worth clients.
Her clients appreciate and rely on her prompt and efficient advice to resolving their legal issues. In negotiating a commercial deal, she takes a pragmatic approach and will always assist a client to achieve the best commercial outcome while minimising costs.
Outside of work, Marilyn enjoys tennis, pilates and having a glass of vino to relax with friends.